History of PEAR (Province de l’Eglise Anglicane au Rwanda)
Two missionary doctors of the Church Missionary Society (CMS), Arthur Stanley Smith and Leonard Sharp, started their mission trips to the Eastern area of Gisaka in Rwanda in 1914-1916 from Kabale, in Uganda. In 1922, they reached Rukira via Kigali. Three years later in 1925, Geoffrey Holmes, a captain of the British army, started the mission at Gahini.
In 1926, Rev. Harold Guillebaud baptized the first converts at Gahini. Rev. Guillebaud started the translation of Christian literature into Kinyarwanda. Other missions were started in 1931 by Geoffrey Holmes at Kigeme and by Rev. Verity and Dr. Tarbot at Shyira. From 1935 – 1936, there was a spiritual revival that commenced in Gahini and expanded across East Africa to Europe and other parts of the world such as India.
Structure of PEAR
There are 11 dioceses headed by 11 bishops with the national leader being the Archbishop.
History of partnership with HOPE
HOPE started working with PEAR in 2008 with an invitation from the Archbishop Emmanuel Kolini, who had been in contact with HOPE CEO Peter Greer through Urwego Community Bank earlier that decade.
Starting with three dioseces and expanding to 10 dioceses now, the ministry has grown to 6,500 saving groups with a total of 150,000 members.
It has also grown from a centralized structure with two employees at the provincial level to a decentralized structure with 10 separate MOUs (Memorandum of Understanding) with each diocese and full-time field coordinators for each diocese.